08 May 2009

Spring on Hwy 1

Two weeks ago, I did the (now) annual pilgrimage down to my high school reunion in Los Olivos, CA. This year, I was driving by myself, in a nice new Toyota Camry with an in-dash audio-in jack for my iPod (to listen to podcasts and awesome tunes). To be frank, that car probably has as good a sound system, as I've ever owned, including the whacky big speakers and 100 watt per channel stereo amp I had in the 70's and 80’s.

I had decided to drive down Hwy 1, beginning with Laureles Grade into Carmel Valley, accessed off Hwy 68 between Salinas and Carmel. Hwy 1, or PCH (Pacific Coast Highway, as it used to known), is one of the more amazing roads on the continent! This year it was totally magical, with wildflowers and Spring finery, courtesy of the late rains. I'd have to say, it was as good as I've ever seen the Big Sur Coast.

Since I was shooting photos at the reunion, I needed to divide my 700+ shots from the trip into People and Places. Now that the People shots are done (in a private gallery for the school alums), I can turn my attention to the Places shots. I hope to have those posted in a public gallery on my website very soon. (I'll link them in my Big Sur and travel galleries.)

For those of us fortunate enough to live in Northern California, it's an amazing year for Hwy 1 and most likely the Sierras, as well. Wanderlust abounds — why wait? Grab the camera, and go...